Diet plays a significant role in treating acne. Vitamins and minerals work best if they come directly from organic fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods. Organic, plant-based supplements can also help. The vitamins crucial for acne reduction are A, B-complex, C, E, chromium and zinc. In general, people with acne-prone skin should avoid all processed carbs, dairy, corn, sweets, spicy food and soda.
Spicy foods, cause a rise in body temperature that starts an inflammatory reaction. Sweets, for example, trigger oil secretion through the skin, and those are the exact oils that trap the dirt and bacteria that cause acne
Here is the list of basic acne triggering food that has to be eliminated during the treatment process (1-3 months).
It's especially important to avoid these foods:
- Food that contains hormones - chicken, pork and deli meats...
- Dairy food - milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream...
- Food that contains gluten - pasta, bread, bagels, wheat noodles, soy sauce
- Fried and fast food
Other food you need to avoid:
- All kinds of sweet foods: bars, dried fruits, cakes, sugars, doughnuts...
- Vegan soy sausages, vegan soy chicken
- Peanut butter
- Shellfish food and farm-raised fish...
- Whey or soy protein powder
- Sugary drinks and sodas
- Chips, Cereals, Tortillas...
- Canola or corn oil (because are genetically modified)
- Avoid microwaving foods ( creates hormonal imbalance)
Recommended healthy food for clearing skin
- SARDINES (good source of calcium and protein, low on life chain)
- ORGANIC EGGS (typically the more expensive, the better quality the egg)
- WILD FISH
- GREEN SALADS (add avocado, olive oil and lemon juice for a super green salad)
- BEANS (azuki, mung, lentils, and garbanzo beans are recommended). It is important for beans to be properly prepared. Check the procedure bellow.
- FRUIT (avoid blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe and dried fruits like raisins)
- OILS (olive oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil)
- GLUTENFREE BREAD (recommended: 1. Grindstone Bakery Plain Quinoa Millet Gluten-Free Bread,
available at Whole Foods or 2. Barley Spelt Bread in the frozen section of Rainbow Grocery).
Tip: Slice bread, spritz with water and toast.
FOODS THAT HEAL INFLAMMATION
- WILD FISH
- RAW GREENS
- OMEGA RICH OILS
How to prepare beans
Grains contain lectin which irritates the skin . Can be removed by proper washing and soaking (only consume grains you have own prepared)
1. Wash grains in cold water using a colander. At the same time take the grains in between your hands by rubbing them against each other. Water will appear cloudy, continue this step until water appears clean. It may take up to 4 times.
2. Soak beans a few hours or overnight before you cook them in cold water. This makes them easier to digest and starts the process of eliminating harmful lectins..
3. Rinse beans before cooking
3. Strain very well and place grains in a pot. Add water 3 inches above grains and cook at low temperature for approx 2 hours (add salt after 1hr)
(FOR LENTIL/ wash lentil the same way like other grains and then soak in hot water for step for approx 15-20 minutes and strain and cook
Alkalizing Smoothie Recipe
Substitute one meal a day with a smoothie that includes flax seeds and greens. For an alkalizing
treat, blend the following:
- 1 Tablespoon of flax seeds
- 3 - 4 ice cubes
- 1 banana
- ½ bunch dandelion greens (blood cleanser)
- 1 cup of water
- fruit of your choice (pear, apple, strawberry, blueberry...)
Turmeric Milk Recipe for Inflamed Skin
Turmeric cleanses the blood and reduces inflammation. This recipe is great for those suffering from
very inflamed skin.
- Boil 1 cup of organic goat milk on the stove.
- Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder and dissolve in 3 T of cold goat milk.
- Pour turmeric mixture into boiling goat milk; boil for one minute.
- Remove from the stove and drink before sleep.